Monday, February 5, 2018

Mixing Fine Art and Quilting

For quite sometime I have wanted to mix fine art and quilting and have tried many ways of doing that mainly by painting on fabric. (There are many samples of unsuccessful tries and a few that made the cut but I have been unsatisfied most of the time.)
I happened to see a You Tube video last night that has changed my perspective a bit. The artist was Stefan Baumann who spoke about painting from who we are. He asked the question "What subject do you see most on your phone?" My answer was quilts of course!  My plan is now to draw/paint quilting and needlework subjects. Duh! Why didn't I think of this before!
 Here's a sketch I made last year.
Well it's a start anyway... The pincushion was my Mom's and the quilt blocks pieced by hand by a great grandmother.
Hopefully my skills will improve by taking this route. I am excited by the prospect at this point anyway!

2 comments:

krislovesfabric said...

Hiya Marie :) Saw you posted when I looked at my sidebar this morning. Good to "see" you my friend! I love your multi generation sketch, what a fun treasure!!

Crazy for Art said...

Thanks Kris! It's about time huh?! Thanks for your encouragement.

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
I am interested in textiles and most visual art. Presently I am painting whimsical paintings. I always have a quilt in the works, and I consider quilts to be art as well.