Monday, February 9, 2009

Success vs. Failure

Today I read a post by Luann Udell that made me stop to think. She was lamenting the fact that she had met her goals and didn't know where to go from there! She has done some pretty remarkable things art wise and I guess she's probably scared because of the economy. Can't blame her. I wish her well. She writes an amazing blog posts too.

The really interesting part of her post regarded our ideas about success and failure. The best part about art is that when something goes wrong sometimes the thing that went wrong can become the most successful part. Several weeks ago I was polishing a polymer piece that would become a pin, when it shot out from beneath the buffer wheel and the tip broke off. Of course this had been my favorite piece of the series. However, instead of throwing it out I patched it with some scrap clay that contained silver leaf. I was really pleased with the results! I plan on repeating that happy accident on other pieces! Sometimes art just happens!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Marie,

I admire the creative spirit in you. I am so structured and into my routine, that I don't allow for the "beautiful mistakes" to happen. You have given me some food for thought. You know, you are not just a great artist, but also a gifted writer. I'm glad to see you using your blog again. Missed you at school and hoping to have you back soon!

Crazy for Art said...

I went back to school today but I am not up to par. Thanks for your praise. I am just trying to keep up with you! I am still trying to post photos without luck.

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
I am interested in textiles and most visual art. Presently I am painting whimsical paintings. I always have a quilt in the works, and I consider quilts to be art as well.