Thursday, August 14, 2008

craft confusion

I attended a rather prestigious rug hooking show in nearby Sauder Village yesterday.Wow. Rug hookers are really serious about their craft. There was a category of original rugs that ranged from portraits to realistic images of nature and animals. I found myself asking why? Why rugs? On the other hand why not! Quilters have been serious about their craft as art for quite some time.

I have been obsessed with art quilts and have followed the progression since the mid 90's. I have worked very hard to find my own creative voice and also satisfy my curiosity of other arts and fine craft. But, I found my self asking if there is really any point to the shows, recognition etc. outside of marketing?

Like the quilt shows, most of the attendees were spending more time with the vendors rather than the show itself. I found the same circumstances at the big international Chicago quilt show I attended last spring. More time spent shopping than looking.

Oh,yes, I was an avid shopper too. In fact I bought a rug hooking kit at the quilt show and that lead me to a lesson and the local rug show I just mentioned. I certainly spent my share of the day with the vendors.

I guess at the end of the day, many of us want to make our own versions of art or craft. We go to the shows and buy the stuff and in some cases follow the careers of others in order to be a better artist or craft person. I think though, from now on, I'm more inclined to go to shows held in museums and places that are more like a gallery. I'll certainly not be tempted to bring home a car full of supplies!

By the way, this is the site of a rug hooker that I like best so far, Deanne Fitzpatrick<http://www.hookingrugs.com/>

She is fabulous!

2 comments:

Melissa P Hackmann said...

Hi there - I hope to be offering another class at arrowmont in the future. (Also looking into Cambell and Touchstone) - Will keep my blog updated with upcoming classes. Thanks for checking in and the great comments!

Melissa Hackmann

jude said...

thanks for the link!

My Blog List

About Me

My photo
I am interested in textiles and most visual art. Presently I am painting whimsical paintings. I always have a quilt in the works, and I consider quilts to be art as well.